Department | Operations/Retail
Reports To | Retail Manager
FLSA Status | Non-exempt
Payscale | Full Time or Part Time; Hourly
Works under the direction of the Retail Management team in carrying out all retail operations in the store, including,
but not limited to, creating a positive environment, register operations, customer service, store appearance and
displays, and employee interactions.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
1. Assist the Retail Management team daily, in the building of the team, by being an example of a positive
leader to all staff, donors, and customers.
2. Assist the Retail Management team in the retail operations of the store, including the handling of cash and
credit card payments, and any non-cash purchases in order to ensure the accuracy and security of all
3. Complete with accuracy, as needed, Daily Reconciliation Sales Reports, bank deposits, Daily Sales charts,
Category Sales chart and Donations charts, and properly save and store all paperwork to ensure truthful
reporting and recording of daily sales and donations.
4. Assist the Retail Management team to make daily bank deposits and acquire change for the register to
ensure the accuracy and security of store funds.
5. Work with the Retail Management team daily, to establish and maintain customer service standards in order
to ensure compliance with the company mission statement and to provide a pleasant shopping experience
for each customer.
6. Work under direction of the Retail Management team, as needed, to train new employees in order to ensure
the employees have all essential training needed to be successful in their position.
7. Work with store staff, daily, in maintaining the physical appearance of the store, including, but not limited to:
ordering and maintaining needed janitorial and restroom supplies, removing safety hazards, picking up store
merchandise and restoring to proper place, cleaning parking lot, sidewalks, windows and doors, store floors,
restrooms and other public areas, to ensure the safety and health of customers and employees.
8. Assist store staff, daily, in stocking store shelves and clothing racks, in order to provide customers with
maximum shopping opportunities.
9. Assist store staff, as needed, to set up or change store displays in order to provide a pleasant shopping
environment and to entice customers to shop new areas or items within the store.
10. Communicate, daily, all events related to customer service issues or problems, register mistakes, employee
issues or accidents, and general store operations to the manager, in order to ensure all issues are handled
properly and in accordance with company policies and procedures.
11. Supervise, as needed, the store operations and staff, in order to ensure compliance with company mission
statement and company policies and procedures in the absence of, but under the expressed direction of the
Retail Management team.
12. Attend as required, or requested, all training events provided by the company and all store meetings as
scheduled by the manager in order to keep current on any policy changes, new procedures, and other
information essential to performing the job.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
1. Must be a people person with a pleasant and willing attitude and have a servant’s heart.
2. Experience in retail operations preferred.
3. Excellent communication skills (both oral and written) with an excellent command of the English language.
4. Excellent math and money handling skills.
5. Must have a commitment to Blue Mountain Thrift Stores’ mission.
6. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written or oral form.
7. Microsoft Office, including Word and Excel (spreadsheets)
8. Email communications (including attachments)
9. Ability to operate a cash register and credit card machine
10. Ability to operate general office machines, copier, fax, printers, scanners
1. Must be detail-oriented and have solid organizational skills.
2. Must be a problem solver and be able to work with a minimum of supervision and take initiative.
3. Excellent time management skills
4. Must possess a demonstrable level of skill and proficiency in planning so to meet established goals.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
High School diploma or GED required. Two to three years experience in retail or related experience preferred.
Stand 3/4 of the time
Walk 3/4 of the time
Sit 1/4 of the time
Use hands to type – computer keyboard or register 3/4 of the time
Use hands to handle documents and merchandise 3/4 of the time
Talk or hear All Day
Moderate physical activity on a daily basis, with occasional strenuous activity. Able to lift at least 50 pounds. Use
hands to lift, sort, clean, organize throughout a standard work day. Store is a well-lit, heated and/or air-conditioned
indoor retail and office setting with adequate ventilation. Manager will have to use hands to type, handle documents
and money, stock shelves and clean.
1. Close vision (clear vision at 20 inches or less)
2. Distance vision (clear vision at 20 feet or more)
3. Color Vision (ability to identify and distinguish colors).
4. Peripheral vision (ability to observe an area that can be seen up and down or to the left and right while eyes
are fixed on a given point).
5. Depth perception (three dimensional vision, ability to judge distances and spatial relationships).
6. Ability to adjust focus (adjust the eye to bring an object into sharp focus)
For Full-Time Monday – Saturday, minimum of 35 hours per week and maximum of 40 hours per week. Attendance
at specific meetings or off-site events or training may be required.
For Part-Time Monday – Saturday, maximum of 28 hours per week. Attendance at specific meetings or off-site
events or training may be required.